The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) doesn’t currently regulate CBD products — though they can send companies warning letters if they make unfounded health claims — which is why it’s so crucial for you to do your research.
You’ll notice the following terms mentioned in the product listings below. Here’s what they mean:
We chose these products based on criteria we think are good indicators of safety, quality, and transparency. Each product in this article:
- is made by a company that provides proof of third-party testing by an ISO 17025-compliant lab
- is made with U.S.-grown hemp
- contains no more than 0.3 percent THC, according to the certificate of analysis (COA)
- passes tests for pesticides, heavy metals, and molds, according to the COA
As a part of our selection process, we also considered:
- the company’s certifications and manufacturing processes
- product potency
- overall ingredients
- indicators of user trust and brand reputation, such as:
- customer reviews
- whether the company has been subject to an FDA warning letter
- whether the company makes any unsupported health claims
While CBD alone may help with anxiety, we’ve also selected a few gummies with extra ingredients known for their calming, soothing qualities, including melatonin. Your body naturally produces melatonin when it gets dark to get you ready for bed. Melatonin can help with sleep disorders, jet lag, and anxiety.
You might recognize these next ingredients if you’re a frequent tea drinker. Research suggests that both lemon balm and chamomile have anti-anxiety effects.
- $ = under $40
- $$ = over $40
Charlotte’s Web CBD Gummies, Calm
Use code “HEALTH15” for 15% off
These gummies from Charlotte’s Web contain lemon balm — about 75 milligrams (mg) per two-gummy serving — and have natural fruit and vegetable flavors.
The company offers a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, which is nice if you’re new to CBD and aren’t sure how you’ll respond. There’s also a 10 percent discount if you subscribe to receive regular shipments.
You can access batch-specific COAs here, but you’ll need a lot number. If you want to take a look at a COA before you buy, you can email the company.
Charlotte’s Web CBD Gummies, Sleep
Use code “HEALTH15” for 15% off
These sleep gummies from Charlotte’s Web contain 3 mg of melatonin in every two-gummy serving, which may help you get to sleep. The company recommends taking the gummies about 30 minutes before you plan to head to bed.
Same as with the Calm gummies, you can access batch-specific COAs online only if you have a lot number. Otherwise, email the company.
Medterra CBD Gummies, Sleep Tight
Use code “health15” for 15% off
These Sleep Tight gummies contain lemon balm, chamomile, and melatonin to help encourage restful sleep. They’re made without high-fructose corn syrup and are gelatin-free.
Medterra offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and a rewards program for loyal customers. You can access the COA from the product page or here.
Calm by Wellness Vegan CBD Gummies
Use discount code “HEALTHLINE10”
Looking for a plant-based CBD gummy? These are vegan-friendly and have a tasty sweet flavor thanks to tapioca syrup, organic cane sugar, and sorbitol.
Calm by Wellness has a 30-day money-back guarantee and offers a discount if you decide to buy products in bulk. You can also snag savings if you subscribe to receive monthly shipments.
Check out the COA here.
Lord Jones CBD Gumdrops
This fancily packaged box of CBD gumdrops from Lord Jones is the perfect way to treat yourself or someone else in your life. They’re naturally flavored and gluten-free.
Lord Jones offers free shipping in the United States, and you can get a discount if you decide to subscribe.
Like Charlotte’s Web, Lord Jones’s batch-specific COAs can only be accessed if you have a batch number handy. Otherwise, you can take a look by emailing the company.
Sunday Scaries CBD Gummies with Vitamins
Use code “healthline20” for 20% off
The natural sweetness comes from pure cane sugar rather than high-fructose corn syrup.
You can save 20 percent if you subscribe to receive the gummies every month — there’s no contract, and you can cancel at any point.
Access the COA here.
FAB CBD Chews
Use code “HEALTHLINE” for 20% off your first purchase
Fab CBD’s fruit-flavored CBD chews are vegan, GMO-free, and don’t contain any dyes or additives. They’re made with organic cane sugar. Note that these are manufactured in a facility that processes nuts, so skip these if you have a nut allergy.
Sunday Scaries Vegan CBD Gummies
Use code “healthline20” for 20% off
Holmes Organics Gummies, Strawberry Lemonade
Use code “Healthline” for 20% off
More research is needed to better understand the relationship between CBD and anxiety, but what we know so far is promising.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, studies suggest that CBD may help reduce stress in rats.
Both animal and human studies also point to CBD’s benefits for social anxiety disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and anxiety-induced insomnia. A 2015 review of studies also suggests that CBD may help with panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and generalized anxiety disorder.
- CBD type. Does the gummy contain CBD isolate, full-spectrum, or broad-spectrum CBD? Isolates are ideal if you’re interested in staying away from THC. However, the extraction process strips the resulting CBD of a variety of beneficial compounds. Because broad-spectrum and full-spectrum products contain additional cannabinoids, they may have heightened therapeutic benefits compared with CBD isolate. This happens due to the entourage effect.
- Potency. Dosage can vary depending on the product, but it also depends on the CBD source. Full-spectrum CBD gummies may pack more of a punch than isolate chews, for instance.
- Ingredients. If you’re worried about ingesting artificial additives and high-fructose corn syrup or you need to avoid animal products, read the ingredient label carefully. Your best option is to choose an organic CBD gummy made with natural flavors and real sugars. Additional ingredients like melatonin may help ease anxiety and promote sleep.
- Third-party testing. Check for an up-to-date COA to ensure you’re buying a product free of contaminants like pesticides, heavy metals, and molds. A COA also lets you know that what’s on the label is true and accurate.
- Brand reputation. Stay away from companies that make any wild claims or promises about their product. You can also check for FDA warning letters and lawsuits.
CBD alone won’t make you feel “high.” However, if you take a large enough dose of a potent enough full-spectrum product, you could consume enough THC to cause an intoxicating effect. Go with isolate or broad-spectrum products if you’re concerned about this.
Research suggests that CBD is generally considered safe. However, you should know about a few potential side effects:
- changes in appetite and weight
Be careful about what you eat when taking CBD. Popping a chew or gummy alongside a high fat meal can heighten your risk of experiencing side effects, according to one recent study.
Is CBD Legal? Hemp-derived CBD products (with less than 0.3 percent THC) are legal on the federal level, but are still illegal under some state laws. Marijuana-derived CBD products are illegal on the federal level, but are legal under some state laws. Check your state’s laws and those of anywhere you travel. Keep in mind that nonprescription CBD products are not FDA-approved, and may be inaccurately labeled.
Steph Coelho is a freelance writer with chronic migraine who has a particular interest in health and wellness. When she’s not click-clacking away on her keyboard, she’s probably nose-deep in a good book.
Also, Check out our Top 50 CBD E Juices in 2020
This post was originally published on this site